This post may contain affiliate links and this site is not connected with, affiliated with, approved by, endorsed by The Girl Scouts of the USA or the Frontier Girls. Ideas are my own and I share to help you run your troops with ease.
If your looking for ideas to make your meeting more fun while discovering more about what your girls are eating and how it affects their body both inside and out, you have come to the right place. Using some of these activities below they will learn how food can affect your mood, body and mind.
Below are a few ideas to get you started.
Eating For You Activity Booklet
Before jumping into a few ideas, do you want to skip all the planning? If so, use this Activity Booklet with activities, games, and worksheets to allow your girls to takeover the meeting and give your girls a better understanding of how nutrition affects your mood mind and body.
Your girls will discover how simply choosing the right foods to eat can help your stress level, your skin will be smoother, your hair will be shinier, nails will be stronger and lastly you will sleep better. With a step by step activities, you can’t ask for a easier way to run your meeting. Learn more and get yours today!
- Be sure to also checkout these other activities your girls will love:
Other Fun Activities To Try
MyPlate Builder Game
Learn more about portions and what you should eat. A deliciously fun game that supports official MyPlate guidelines! Players try to be the first to build the perfect plate as they answer questions from six categories: Fruits, Vegetables, Dairy/Grains, Protein, Physical Fitness, Physical Challenge. Questions include nutrition and health, language arts and math topics. Physical Challenge and Today’s Special cards add a taste of fun. Order your game from amazon here.
Do the MyPlate worksheet
After playing the game have girls do worksheet to create their own plate of healthy food and to have a little fun with word searches and puzzles. Click here to get copy
Remembering Healthy Foods
Have girls get into a circle, Leader start with ball or beanbag says “Fruit are a great healthy food. A Vegetable I like is…” Then pass to next girl she must say what you just said plus add another fruit. So “Vegetables are a great healthy food. Vegetables like are carrots and celery is what second girl would say next girl would add another, if girl can not think of one or forgets order have her sit down, continue around circle till last person standing. Start with a different type of healthy food. Types of food to use are: green leafy vegetables, colorful vegetables, grains, proteins (meat, nuts and beans) fruit and dairy products.
Bad Skin and Healthy Skin – Food can affect it
Put girls into two different groups; choose one girl to be the human bulletin board. One team will be for bad food, write Bad Food = Unhealthy Skin on post it and put on forehead of girl chosen on team to be bulletin board and on other team a post it that that says healthy food = Healthy skin put on her forehead. Set the time for 10 minutes, and have each team come up with as many foods that fit in that category, put one item of food on each post it and stick to the girl “Human Bulletin board” At the end of time have them take the post its off one at a time reading what foods they wrote down, team that figured out the most types of food wins.
TELL GIRLS ABOUT HEALTHY SKIN:
- The basic diet for healthy skin is as follows:
- Avoid processed foods, choose natural foods
- Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables
- Choose low fat sources of protein such as chicken and fish not steak and hamburger
- Eat complex carbohydrates are like vegetables, skim milk, and whole grain cereals
- Drink fresh, clean (bottled if necessary) water
- Avoid sugar and simple carbohydrates which are things like candy, chocolate, biscuits, whole milk
Beyond food that is good and bad for you. Did you know? a lot of ingredients used in skincare products have detrimental effects on the human body. Now, more than ever, it has become crucial for you to check each product label in order to steer clear from harmful ingredients. Teach your girls about these 14 toxic ingredients to watch out for in skin care products.
Play a game of How High Is the Sugar Content? (Price is Right)
Give each girl a pile of sugar cubes, we will line up a number of products, the girls all have to guess how much sugar they think is in that item using the sugar cubes. Once they all have guessed reveal the answer (have cubes hidden under a cardboard piece that has how many grams wrote on it and shows cubes.)
Tell the girls that the American Heart Association recommends women only have 26 grams of sugar a day. So make that comparison with some of the items like the pop and cookies.
Eating Affects Your Sleeping Poster
Create a Poster where one side shows you sleeping perfectly. Use pictures, magazines, and words, whatever you need to show around you what it means to sleep soundly. On other side show yourself not sleeping well and all the reasons why that may be happening around that picture.
SHARE THIS INFO WITH GIRLS: Eating right and at the right time is necessary for the good sleep. Our body has its own internal clock, which sets our sleeping, and getting up times. Hormones of the body control and regulate this clock. The secretion of these hormones is effected by the way we eat and think.
Helpful tips to get a better night sleep:
- Never go to sleep with full stomach, as it will cause heartburn and keep you awake.
- Eat three or four hours before going to sleep.
- Don’t go to bed with empty stomach, as it will trigger the glycogen to stimulate the brain to produce sleepless hormones.
FOODS THAT HELP THE SLEEP:
- Tryptophan rich food: Tryptophan is the sleep inducing hormone and found in milk, banana, poultry products, oats, and in honey.
- Snack: boiled eggs or vegetables:
- Yogurt: It is one of the greatest sleep-inducing product and help for sleep if taken a bowl of yogurt before going to sleep.
FOODS THAT AFFECTS THE SLEEP:
- High fats: foods with high fat content not only cause the increase in weight but also cause sleepless nights.
- Spicy foods: Cause of heartburn or if you have acid reflux the digestive system get disturb and causes sleepless.
- Chocolate and caffeinated foods: The caffeine and other stimulants present in coffee and chocolates activate the brain cells and keep the person awakened.
- High protein foods: source of increasing brain activity and cause the sleepless nights. Before going to bed avoid the proteins snacks and protein foods.
Four Corner Exercising
Put the exercise type on the wall one in each corner of room, put different workouts on other side of paper for second round. Girls must choose a sign to stand next to. Then draw out one of the exercises, if they are standing in that corner they do not do the exercise, everyone else must do the exercise they are next to, perform the exercise the number of times they are old (Example if they are 10 they do 10 reps) Once done girls choose a new corner to stand at and again choose a exercise. Do three rounds of this exercise and then flip paper over and do 4 different exercises. Then end the game by doing the elimination version, last person standing, if you call exercise they are standing by they are out have them do move before sitting down. Continue till only 1 left standing.
ROUND 1: Push Ups, Sit up or crunch, Mountain Climbers, Jumping Jacks
ROUND 2: Lunges, Knee lifts, Burpies, Squats
After game tell girls to choose healthy snack vs. chips or cookies, to keep your energy up.
Glow Sticks Yoga/Relaxation Workouts in the Dark
Give each girl two glow sticks and do the below moves and exercises
- This partner stretch will allow the girls to be mindful of each other while they relax. Have the girls find a partner and sit on the floor. Say slowly and calmly to the girls “Face your partner, open your legs comfortably and touch your feet with your partner’s feet. Tell girls lean forward and grasp each other’s hands. One partner leans back, slowly pulling your partner forward. Now the second partner will lean back and pull their partner slowly forward.
- This exercise helps girls focus on breathing, helping them achieve rest and balance. Have the girls sit comfortably on the floor or mat. Slowly and calmly tell the girls “In the winter, bears hibernate in caves, sleeping peacefully. Sit up tall, close your eyes, and go inside. Through your nose, breathe in for a count of five, and then hold for a count of three. Breathe out for a count of five, then hold for a count of three.” Repeat this instruction 5 times. Then say, “Open your eyes and notice how you feel.” Be sure to allow girls time to finish each step after you say it.
- Have girl spread out so they can make big movements without hitting anyone. Explain that you are going to call out natural phenomena’s. As each word is called out, the girls should use there body and their voices to act out the word however they choose. They should continue making the movements until you call out the next word. You can call out the words as slowly or quickly as you like.
Food Sorting Game
Knowing which foods are only good to have occasionally and which ones to eat regularly is one of the first steps to healthier eating. Help your kids learn which foods are daily foods and which foods are sometimes foods with this fun sorting game. Here is a free printable for this sorting activity.
If you don’t want to spend the time planning, our Activity Booklet has step-by-step instructions with activities that don’t require any planning other than gathering supplies and printing booklets.
What do we do after your girls complete the activities?
Well of course give them the badge to display proudly on their vest, they earned it! Additionally If you are like many leaders we want to award our girls when they complete something even beyond just the patch. One great way to show achievement is with a certificate. Don’t worry you don’t have to make them, I found a resource that has done all the work for you and all you have to do is print them and customize the certificates with each girl’s name, badge or award earned, date, and troop leader. Editable certificates perfect for awarding girls after earning a badge.
More Resources For You Beyond This Site
I get asked a lot what other resources are out there on the internet for Leaders. I have done some digging over the years and have used many of the resources myself. I compiled a list of some great companies that sell patches, programs and also other bloggers offering amazing resources that may fit your needs even better than my site did. Checkout what I found.